Protecting Worker's Rights with Honesty and Precision
Santa Clarita Sexual Harassment Attorneys
Serving Clients in the Valencia, Newhall, Saugus & Canyon County Areas
Sexual harassment can have a devastating impact on your health, well-being, and career. It's important to remember that harassment is never your fault, and there are resources available to help you advocate for yourself and put a stop to the harassment.
One of the most important partners you can have in this fight is a skilled lawyer who can work to advocate for you. By partnering with someone who understands the laws surrounding harassment and victim’s rights, you can take an important step towards healing from this situation.
Call our Santa Clarita employment sexual harassment lawyers at (661) 434-4333 to learn how we can help.
What Is Sexual Harassment in the Workplace?
The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) defines sexual harassment as unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other unwanted advances with a sexual nature. Sexual harassment can be physical or verbal and is not limited to being of a sexual nature; it can also include offensive comments about a person’s sex.
There are two forms of sexual harassment in the workplace:
- Hostile Workplace Sexual Harassment: This occurs when an employee is subjected to severe or persuasive sexual behavior that makes the work environment abusive. Examples can include vulgar comments, sexist remarks and insults, and inappropriate, unwanted physical contact.
- Quid Pro Quo Sexual Harassment: This form of harassment happens when an employer conditions an employee's employment benefits and promotions on an exchange of sexual favors.
Other examples of sexual harassment in the work environment can include:
- Sexual or sexist jokes and/or comments
- Using sex- or gender-related name calling
- Unwanted sexually explicit notes, emails, or texts
- Unwanted sexual advances and/or comments
- Physical acts of sexual assault and/or rape
Victims of sexual harassment suffer more than mere technical violations of their legal rights. Depending on the situation, sexual harassment victims can experience anything ranging from mild irritation to severe psychological damage. Likewise, the impact on the victim's career and life may be minimal or it may leave them in ruins. Too often, victims who speak up become targets of retaliation, backlash, and/or are blamed for provoking the harassment.
What to Do If You Are Being Sexually Harassed at Work
If you are experiencing sexual harassment at work, it can be difficult to cope with this situation. Here are a few steps to take:
- Document: Keep any messages, emails, voicemails, images, etc. that are proof of the sexual harassment you are experiencing.
- Report: Report the incident(s) to your employer. If you feel safe doing so, you can also tell your harasser that their behavior has made you feel uncomfortable.
- Work with an attorney: Working with an attorney can give you support and guidance in your situation. If you are unsure what you should do, or are worried your employer will respond negatively, our team can help lead you in the best direction. We can also help you file a complaint with the EEOC, and more.
It is also important to be aware that employees subjected to unlawful conduct in California under the Fair Employment and Housing Act (including unlawful discrimination and/or harassment) must file a complaint with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) within one year or may lose their right to sue.
Work with Our Santa Clarita Sexual Harassment Lawyers
Sexual harassment is a form of abuse. It's an abuse of power and authority. It robs victims of their respect and dignity. It is estimated that sexual harassment may affect about half of the women and up to 20% of the men in the workplace. In 2008, nearly 14,000 sexual harassment discrimination complaints were filed with the U.S. Equal Employment & Opportunity Commission. Whether the harasser is a supervisor or co-worker, employers may be legally responsible for sexual harassment against their employees.
It can be difficult to know what steps to take in the event of experiencing sexual harassment at work. Markson Pico LLP can help you in this situation. We are passionate about fighting to protect victims of sexual harassment in the workplace.
Our attorneys offer the support and guidance needed to assert victim's legal rights and to help victims throughout the difficult recovery process. By consulting with a Santa Clarita sexual harassment attorney at our office, you will be taking the first step in resolving this difficult situation.
Contact a Santa Clarita sexual harassment lawyer at Markson Pico LLP today at (661) 434-4333 or contact us online for a free consultation concerning your workplace situation.